Filmora Video Editor

Home Forums Non-Tech Discussion Photography & Video Filmora Video Editor

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mad-biker
    Participant

Does anybody use the Filmora video editor, i brought a life time licence when they were a nothing editor for next to nothing.  it seems to be a expensive yearly fee now.

not the best, and i still dont have much idea what im doing with it.

anybody else use it?

dogwomble
    Keymaster

I haven’t got or used Filmora myself.  I tend to use Vegas Movie Studio.  I got version 14 when it was on special on Steam, though there are newer versions now – though TBH they’ve had basic editing down fairly well for a while now, the only reason I would think to upgrade is for better support for 4K video which is better supported in newer versions.

They seem to have both v14 and v16 on special on Steam at the moment.  V16 here and V14 here.

This post was sent using 100% recycled electrons

That_Bloke
    Participant

I have it, I have 4 or 5 video editors which I use depending on what I’m trying to do, I forget exactly what Filmora is good for.

dogwomble
    Keymaster

Yeah, this thread is what let me know it actually exists.  It looks like they’re going to a similar subscription model to what Adobe used – older versions were a perpetual license, but if you want to upgrade, you need to go to subscription.  It could well be t hat you can still use an older version on a perpetual license.

Having said that, it is worth checking out Vegas.  If you’re prepared to go a version or two back, Steam frequently has specials on previous versions, and that can work quite well because basic general-purpose video editing is something they’ve had more or less right for a while.  Aside from better support for higher resolution formats, the changes tend to be reasonably trivial so it can be a way to get a solid video editor on the cheap.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by dogwomble.

dogwomble
    Keymaster

Some software I’m not as fussed about being subscription. My antivirus for instance, which requires regular updating on a regular basis, is something I am not so fussed about because I at least get some sort of benefit.

I’m lucky with MS Office in that I was able to get a perpetual licence for Office 2016 before they started pushing Office 365. Quite frankly any modern version of Office will do me fine, the only update I could benefit from is one that will allow me to open newer file formats if that ever becomes an issue, otherwise it already has far more features than I could ever possibly use.  I’m kinda annoyed that I have to have subscriptions for Photoshop and Audition, I kinda wish they did the perpetual licensed still with no updates to new versions.

As for a subscription for a program that I’ve never heard of?  I would have to have an extremely compelling use case for that particular piece of software.

That_Bloke
    Participant

As for a subscription for a program that I’ve never heard of? I would have to have an extremely compelling use case for that particular piece of software.

It’s entry level, home gamer at best. Corel Videostudio(formerly Ulead) is a much more professional tool.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by That_Bloke.
    dogwomble
    Keymaster

It’s entry level, home gamer at best. Corel Videostudio(formerly Ulead) is a much more professional tool.

Yeah, I’ve seen ULeads stuff before.  Didn’t necessarily hate it, but for my money I much prefer Vegas.  From what I remember of Ulead’s interface, it left a bit to be desired.

mad-biker
    Participant

yeah i think i should get a different one, as filmora hangs and crashes non stop these days.

dogwomble
    Keymaster

Well I would have a look at Vegas Movie Studio on Steam. If you go a version or two back, they’re on special at the moment and in terms of basic video editing you’re probably not missing out on much over the later version – I think 4K support was improved in v15 and aside from that it would only be a few bells and whistles

That_Bloke
    Participant

I was looking a vegas, not sure why I didn’t get it, if it’s subscription that’d be why, but otherwise if it’s just expensive I’d fork out for a one off.

That_Bloke
    Participant

I was looking a vegas, not sure why I didn’t get it, if it’s subscription that’d be why, but otherwise if it’s just expensive I’d fork out for a one off.

Quote Oh, it’s $560(discounted) to buy it outright, that’s why I don’t have it, also I think my current rig might struggle with it.
    dogwomble
    Keymaster

Have a look at Steam.  The full pro version is quite pricey, but the Movie Studio version is quite a bit cheaper and still has a decent range of features.  They tend to have the previous two versions on special, when I checked a few days ago they had then on special for a bees dick over $AU20.

I don’t think the pro version offers enough to justify the price considering the Movie Studio version is already quite powerful.

Edit: the system requirements are fairly modest as well.  Unless you’re doing 4K, they basically recommend a 2Ghz dual core with 16gb RAM. That’s a fairly low bar, so pretty much anything in the last few years should run OK bit obviously you’ll want something a bit more powerful for larger projects or if you like your effects.

dogwomble
    Keymaster

You can also look at open source as well, though YMMV in Windows.  I remember checking OpenShot when version 2 was announced.  Was turned off by its very basic feature set at the time.  It was also about as stable as a trampoline in an earthquake.  I can’t remember the other open source ones I looked at, but they were all very basic at best.  Much as I like the idea of open source, I just couldn’t find something that was gonna work for what I wanted to do so just went back to Vegas Movie Studio.  At least it provided something stable with some sort of meaningful feature set and wasn’t too expensive.  Things may be a little better now for open source video editors.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by dogwomble.

That_Bloke
    Participant

Have a look at Steam.

I haven’t been on steam in yonks, didn’t realise they sold anything other than games.
    dogwomble
    Keymaster

They are still primarily a gaming platform.  They do have a software section as well which contains a range of system utilities and stuff for content creation.  It’s not a bad place to check out if you’re in the market for content creation tools.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.